The final year students of the Dept. of Christian Civilization took part in a workshop together with the students of the Dept. of Western Classical Culture and Christian Culture of the University of Kelaniya. Rev. Prof. J.C. Paul Rohan, Head of the Dept. of Christian & Islamic Civilizations of the UoJ, and Prof. Shirely Lal Wijesinghe of the Dept. of Western Classical Culture and Christian Culture of the UoK jointly organized this workshop. It is a follow up workshop which is being conducted from 2015.
Thirteen students and three staff members from the Dept. Christian Civilization, UoJ and eighteen students and three staff members from the Dept. of Western Classical Culture and Christian Culture, UoK participated in the workshop.
Objectives of the Workshop:
- To appreciate the current trends in Christian Theology which promote peace and harmony in a pluri-religious and cultural context.
- To foster mutual understanding among the Tamil and Sinhala students by exposing them to such a live in programme.
- To make the students of the North and the South realize the importance of tolerance and mutual acceptance which is necessary for a peaceful coexistence.
Outcome / Impact of the Workshop:
- New experience gained by exposing with other students who are entirely from a new language and cultural background.
- A chance to practice the Sinhala language which was learnt in the classroom by communicating with the Sinhala students.
- A forum to share the problems and feelings of the Tamils with the Sinhala students.
- Able to feel the plight of the Plantation People who are the back born of the economy of our country.
- Realized the need to learn more the Sinhala language to reduce the language barrier to foster brotherhood and sisterhood among all the citizens of the country.